Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

First off, I would like to say that last night, through tofu-n-sprouts' blog I also found the multitude of other vegan blogs with the most mouthwatering recipes and photos that I am truly intimidated. I am SO glad I started this up if ONLY because I managed to find all that great stuff! I'm going to keep going with this blog nonetheless because a. more recipes never hurt, even if mine aren't quite status quo. b. I hope someone finds the nutritional bits of info that I add useful and interesting. c. It's fun! d. I really really want to get the cooking show up and running. Already its more formed now than yesterday--I have a team who wants to eat what's made, the kitchen is booked (its owner is keen on knowing more about cooking veggies himself). Episode themes and menus have been picked, now its about testing the recipes and making them really splendid enough for the public eye, and actually filming.. and editing. Wish me luck!

So I woke up this morning and decided.. hmm.. I want oatmeal.

Ingredients:
  • just over 1/2 a cup of oats.
  • just over 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 small fuji apple (i didn't want to use an apple that was very overpowering, empire or cortland should work nicely too)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 3 packets stevia (about 6 tsp sugar, if you want to use sugar, or to taste)
  • small handful of raisins

I put the water on the element and brought it to a boil, and dumped everything in, letting it come to a boil again. I put the lid on and let it sit for 15-20 min.
Serve, sprinkle with some more cinnamon (i like it really cinnamon-y), add some soy milk and voila. Breakfast is served.



Nutritional Bit: Oats are full of fiber, both soluble and insoluble, they have beta-glucan which helps lower cholesterol levels and significantly reduces risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, as well as 'activating' white blood cells to 'charge up' the immune system. Some scientists believe they also boost the ability of the body to terminate cancerous cells and research is being done as we eat. Oatmeal has a low GI, has anti-inflammatory properties, protein, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, manganese, and a bit of iron. Make sure you pick steel cut or at most rolled oats (which mine were)--the more processed they are, the more useless they are to your body. Sorry instant oatmeal, but you're cut. (har har)

1 comment:

mfwilliams11 said...

could you post a link to tofus' blog?