Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Stevia

Zero calorie sweetener that just might be good for you.

So I was thinking--stevia hmmm? Is it any better/worse for me than splenda? Aspratame has been demonstrated over and over again to be hazardous to one's health, as has saccharine, but sucralose (splenda) has managed to keep a decent rep. Stevia is an all-natural sweetener coming straight from the Stevia plant, and I wanted to know: am I making a healthy choice by choosing it?

So I googled it, and here's what I found, in a nutshell: (all sources linked below so you can do your own reading too.)
  • It helps with weight loss, especially in obese persons, as it seems to help 'turn off' hunger sensations when satiation has occured. (The tests in my opinion were performed with groups too small for the results to exceed standard deviation--i.e. it could've been a fluke.)
  • It helps with insulin release, and thus glucose tolerance. (Again, I feel the tests were performed on groups that were too small for comfort.)
  • It consistantly tests safe.
  • It's calorie free.

Despite the fact that some of the findings were based on testing that had a little too much room for error in my opinion, I think that while not 100% reliable, those results definately are promising. I think further testing would be needed to make these possibilities 'facts' about stevia, but it's sure worth hoping, and definately not a bad thing!

So there you have it, it's stevia for me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia
http://www.steviacanada.com/
http://www.stevia.com/

No comments: