Monday, April 28, 2008

Navy Bean Banana Cake

I really really was craving something banana walnut today. I was also really craving something along the lines of Black Bean Brownies or White Bean Blondies (PS can you tell I love Have Cake Will Travel?)... but neither was quite right. So I did what any girl would do. I made my own recipe!

banner

Navy Bean Banana Cake

This bean cake doesn't need to 'set'; it does that on its own. It's got a wonderfully subtle banana flavor with the occasional crunch of a walnut, and sweet accents from strawberry jam. It's easy to make (even I could do it..) and uses things that are generally around the house, generally. It's very forgiving and will allow for many substitutions. I have another idea with this one, something I haven't seen done yet (maybe because its not possible) but for now, I'll give you this; (MAD THANKS to Have Cake Will Travel and through her, Activist Mommy--I never ever ever would have thought up how to put beans in a dessert without them... in fact you could even call this a sort of amalgamation of the two recipes almost.)

Ingredients:
1 can (14oz) Navy Beans--very well rinsed, drained.
1/3 cup quick oats
1/3 cup (scant) whole wheat flour
1 tbsp flax meal
2 very large bananas (approx 9"--so you might want 3 medium!) Peeled and mashed!
1/3 cup walnuts (or more, if you like...) Rough chop (pulse in food processor if you only have halves.)
2 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp soy "cream"*
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup splenda (or sweetener of your choice. Please don't use stevia unless you have baked with it before and actually enjoy that extremely planty taste..)
1/4 cup to 1/3 cup Strawberry jam (or jam of your choice--I used ED Smith's "SPA Fruits" Strawberry jam to keep it low sugar/low GI)

Toppings:
Sliced bananas, peanutbutter, chocolate chips, sliced figs, dessicated coconut...

Preheat the oven to 350F. I used a springform cake pan as thats my favourite for making any cake (sooo easy to get out!) but feel free to use whatever cake pan you want. Approx 8in dia. Grease your pan with margarine or oil or a spray.

Put the oats in the food processor and give them a good whirrr until it's a coarse flour. Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the walnuts and let it mix well, then sprinkle in the walnuts through the top (or just stop, add in, and go again..). Once it's a mix, pour/scoop into cake pan. Lick the sides and spatula clean.** I licked the blades but I really don't recommend you do it. Especially if you're under 18--I don't want any angry mommies knocking on my door.

Pop in the oven and let it bake for 25-30 min, or until the edges are golden brown and coming off from the sides.

Take out and unfasten the springform; if you didn't use a springform just leave it, as I really don't know what would happen were you to invert it. Take your jam, mix it vigorously by hand first and then spread it on the warm cake--the cake will help the jam melt and become almost like a thick glaze. Really let it layer on there; the cake itself is not overly sweet so the jam really helps to sweeten it and make it a definite dessert item. Let that all cool before you put on any other toppings. I topped mine with sliced banana and natural peanutbutter, as you can see. It's firm and set and ready to be enjoyed whenever you're ready to eat it. :)

copy1

Bon Appetit!

P4280041

PS, This is what I (alone) ate for 'dessert' today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26169994@N08/2450086462/in/photostream/


*I collect the 'gunk' thats always left at the bottom of my soy milk--so long as you use it within ten days of the soy milk being opened its a perfectly wonderful cream! Omit this if you don't have it, or just use soy milk--not worth opening a pack of silken tofu for this... (Unless you have some already open..) Soy yogurt would also work.. and if you're daring you could always try soy cream cheese, but don't say I recommended it because I've never even TRIED soy cream cheese.

**I usually HATE eating batter. Seriously, I would refuse to eat raw cake batter as a kid almost always--likely because it tasted like sugar and I knew it contained raw egg. How gross is that. Anyway, the habit stuck but for this.. oh yummm. I could have that for breakky! Anyway..

18 comments:

Vegyogini said...

That cake looks fantastic! I'm going to have to try it sometime. Oh, and you look adorable eating your cake!

Celine said...

the cake is beautiful, and you're a cutie pie! curious, did you try the bean brownies and blondies, or you simply just didn't think they'd calm the cravings?

Manda said...

vegyogini--thanks!

celine--ive had the black bean brownies, though never the blondies--I really was in the mood for banana though!!!

Celine said...

I can't get enough of bananas lately either! :)

Celine said...

if you ever want to give the black bean bs another chance, try these ones:
http://havecakewilltravel.com/2008/01/02/based-on-the-famous-bbbs/
I can't stop munching on them!
I'll be sure to try your cake too.

Celine said...

oops, sorry to be spamming this, here is the link.

Manda said...

lol I don't mind--I've tried those too, I do like them, I just have to be in the mood for chocolate/cocoa! (Don't hate me for not constantly being in the mood for chocolate--I know some who would consider this blasphemy!)

Celine said...

hate you? never! I prefer it with carob anyway, but I totally get your point.
apologies again for having left so many comments, my head was anywhere but at the right place this morning.

Manda said...

Are you kidding me? I love the idea of having more than like, 3 comments. Makes me feel like my blog is actually read by people, you know? Sometimes I go for weeks without posting because I figure no one is going to know anyway. This lets me know that yeah; someone's gonna notice!

^__^ So thanks.

Vegyogini said...

Hey Manda, you'd have to get in touch with Happy Herbivore via her blog for information about testing. She posted about it a while ago asking people to email her if they wanted to be a part of it. That's how I got involved. :)

Happy Herbivore! said...

Hi! email me so we can chat:
happyherbivore@blogspot.com

I'll also leave a little note back to you on my post.

:)

p.s. this cake is GORGEOUS & I love Celine too

Happy Herbivore! said...

oops! i'm crazy

happyherbivore@gmail.com

VEGAN TICKLES said...

This cake looks awesome.
I think I drooled a bit.
YUMMY!!!

Carrie said...

That cake looks amazing. I've never tried beans in a dessert before...I'm intrigued now.

DJ said...

I've tried black bean brownies before but wasn't so keen on the banana-yness - I'm one of those chocolate-lovin' hos, am afraid!! Your cake looks so lovely, though - and I'm never afraid to experiment with beans or greens!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Just wanted to let you know that I made your cake yesterday for m husband and I and we LOVED it!!!
It was so unusual and delicious.
Thank you so much for posting this recipe

Manda said...

carrie--try it, beans arent exactly the price of gold so what do you have to lose? :P

dj--I respect your love affair with chocolate, no worries. ;) Let me know if you ever do try this.

vegan tickles--this is the best comment I've ever had yet; makes me feel like perhaps I'm on the right track!

Anonymous said...

this looks awesome i'm gonna try it