Saturday, June 7, 2008

Marg's Chickpea Salad

Oh Marg. How we all loved you, and yet how much you upset/annoyed us with your funny "one piece only" rules and incessant lectures. I personally appreciated it--well the rationing maybe not (you know we ended up eating a sandwich at the end of every meal to make up for the small portions... we're growing kids doing a lot of work, we need food..) but definately the "no cross-contamination" nazi-like strictness was almost essential to me. (Imagine if they took the meat spoon and used it to toss out peas..) And frankly, I liked your cooking so everyone else can complain all they like.

One thing though Marg, that was simply divine, was your chickpea salad. Everyone loved it. (Well, except for Brent, but he's got this wierd anti-chickpea thing going on. I blame it on the combination of his height and his [red] hair.) So Marg, this one's for you... (Marg actually sent me her recipe)

Marg's Chickpea salad

Chickpea Salad

1, 19 oz can chick peas
2 Tb chopped red onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 diced tomato
1/2 cup fresh parsley
2 Tb oil*
2 Tb red wine or balsamic vinegar
1 Tb lemon juice
salt and pepper

Mix and let sit half hour to an hour before serving.


*I used this much oil, but doubled the chickpeas and most everything else. I also added a good handful of kalamata olives, chopped up and pitted of course.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Looks tasty!

Karyn said...

I am going to make this for my dinner tonight.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!