Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'm not dead

I know it seems like I've been dead, but I've not. I spent the past week saying goodbye to my sweetheart who is, as we speak, boarding a plane to go to St. Jean, Quebec for his basic training for the Canadian Armed Forces. I wish him all my love and blessings.

What did we do this week? Oh some really fun stuff--we went to his brother's wedding. Gasp how did I manage to eat you may ask? Well, I brought my own food and simply told the caterers I was special diet but didn't want to give them a hassel, so if I could just come to the back between dishes to make myself my food I'd love it. They were more than pleased to accomodate, so that was that. I got to use the cute little bento box I picked up in Spain (I put almonds in the cutlery holder, and I left in the divider so the pits could go somewhere. Tricksy aren't I?)

CIMG2908

I hope some good photos come of me and the SO ripping up the dance floor--we're pretty amazing if I do say so myself! I'll be sure to post a good one here if I can!

Oh, I wish I'd taken a photo but I made two really gorgeous things last night; an awesome salad and some really great bread. The SO's family devoured both, so I'd say it was a hit. I'll give the recipe's here and when I make it again, some photos!


Cranberry Almond Salad

Salad:

454g baby spinach (pre-washed)
3/4 cups sliced almonds
2/3 cups dried cranberries
1-2 tsp flax seed oil

Warm the flax seed oil very gently over low heat, add the almonds and toss well, toast the almonds. Allow to cool and then throw together with spinach and cranberries.

Dressing:
1/2 cup sweetener
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 T flax seed oil
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp minced onion
1 T poppyseeds
1 T seasame seeds


Toast the poppyseeds and seasame seeds gently until fragrant. Allow to cool and then either whisk all ingredients together, or as I do; put in a jar and shake shake shake! :) Allow to sit at least 1hr. To serve mix with salad; I used about 3/4 of the dressing I made.

Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jamies-Cranberry-Spinach-Salad/Detail.aspx -- which you can see has over a thousand good reviews!!! This salad is simple but good.



Whole Wheat Olive-Oil Pine Nut Bread

For a bread machine--I was just playing around. The SO's family loved it, even ventured to say it was the best bread they'd ever had. I think that was an exageration, but it definately was good.

Wet: 1 c. Water* & 1/3 c. Olive Oil*

*(I watched the knead and felt it was too dry, so I added a little bit more of each, next time I make this I'll see if I can't adjust the recipe so that's not needed.)

Dry: 3 c. whole wheat flour, 1 T organic sucanat, 1 T gluten, 1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2/3 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (give or take..)
1/3 c/ pine nuts, roughly chopped

1 tsp to 1 T olive oil for glaze; I used some flavored olive oil I keep around, but plain is fine.

Put all but pine nuts and glaze oil in the bread machine, as per your bread machine's instructions, on medium crust, 2lb white bread. Watch to make sure, as mentioned, that there is enough liquid to avoid flour on the corners. 5 min into knead 2 toss in pine nuts. 20 minutes from the end of baking brush with olive oil, and again at the end. Allow to sit inside the bread machine once done for an hour before removing.

That's what I did, I'm sure there's a better way--but this works!

Now I've got formal recruitment to work on--I move in two weeks and the week after tht the sorority will start to open our doors to new girls. I'm in charge of the food, among other things, so perhaps I'll get some good photos.

The cookbook reviews might have to be further postponed. Again, my apologies!

No comments: